9th Grade House Academy
• The 9th Grade House Academy is designed to help students transition from middle school to high school. It allows students to adjust to the high school environment before choosing a specialized SLC in the 10th grade. The 9th Grade House Academy is situated in one area of Bell High School so that the students and staff can feel a sense of community. We have our own offices, lunch area and garden for all members to enjoy.
• Unique course offerings include life skills, health and geography. Life skills give students an opportunity to learn about different career paths in addition to learningthe basic skills needed of a high school graduate. In addition to regular intervention such as after-school tutoring and Beyond the Bell on Saturdays, we have Twilight School, which provides extra help specifically for 9th Grade House Academy students for Algebra 1, Geometry, and English 9.
• The purpose of the 9th Grade House Academy is to provide each student with a smaller, more cohesive learning environment. The 9th Grade House Academy staff is dedicated to not only providing each student an education, but a mentorship as well. Our goal is to have each student entering the 9th grade not only move on to the 10th grade next year, but to graduate in 4 years and continue-on to post-secondary education. With the support of parents and staff, we hope to see our 9th grade Eagles soar over the next 4 years!
• Parents are encouraged to attend our alternate monthly Parent Nights. Parent Night offers an opportunity for parents and other interested family members to meet the 9th Grade House staff, look at student work and provide presentations prepared by both students and teachers. We also hold raffles for the parents with prizes donated by local community businesses. At our most recent Parent Night, parents won and enjoyed raffles such as free turkeys, dinners at Palas Casino and gift certificates to All American Hardware. With the continued support of the community, we hope to continue these raffles.
• We are in the process of incorporating Project Based Learning (PBL) into our 9th Grade House Academy. The teachers will be trained in cross curriculum enterprises in order to enhance, explore, and appreciate the interrelationships between core subjects through standards-based learning. In addition, other student activities are being planned, which include field trips to colleges and universities, as well as a 9th Grade House Academy retreat for ninth graders on each of the three tracks.
• Please look for future meeting dates of Parent Nights. The success of students depends on the continued interest and support of all parents. Continue to monitor student work and encourage student conversation by asking your child to share what was learned each day. Please remember that you are a vital part of your child’s academic success. Our purpose is to provide the necessary foundation so that your child can attain a future career of choice. Let us all continue to work towards student achievement.